Wednesday, July 15, 2015

What's more important?...My grocery bill or buying a bed for a dying soul?

2 posts ago, I had mentioned 
about an elderly lady named Manuela 
who is suffering from 2 broken hips.

I was informed earlier this week that Manuela is not doing well....
her body is beginning to swell, she is in tremendous pain,
and she tends to fall out of her bed because it is too small.

That was an understatement.  
Below is a photo of the bed she was living in...


It is pretty obvious that NO ONE should live like that...
most especially someone who is embarking on their last days of life.

So the neighbors and I went to try to find the cheapest bed in San Lucas.
We found one for 400Q ($53)...
all I had to my name for the week to live on was 430Q ($57)

As I sat in the store with the neighbors...
and we weighed the situation:

"Grocery bill or a new bed for someone who is dying?"...

I closed my eyes, looked at the Lord and said:
"We're buying the bed!"


Next question was: 
"How are we going to fit a bed in the 3-seater taxi that is our only vehicle?!"
We managed...with a lot of laughter and funny looks!


Neighbors came to help change the beds...
there was so much joy because everyone knew that this was a true act of charity...
reaching out to someone who has no children, 
no family, and no way of helping herself.


This morning, a priest from San Lucas 
was able to visit both Manuela and also Teresa 
as they are approaching the end of their lives
and gave them the Sacrament of Anointing of the Sick.

The reason why I titled this blog the way I did is because the day after buying the bed, 
I received a generous donation 
so that we can continue to serve the elderly...
and so that I can continue to eat!

It was another confirmation that God is looking after each one of us....
and when we are faithful to the simple things He asks of us,
He will bless us.

May we continue to be His hands and feet
reaching out to those in need-
whether it be in our professions, our vocations,
in offering assistance, giving donations,
or just offering a prayer....
they are all needed!

No comments:

Post a Comment