Monday, February 12, 2018

Eye Surgical Brigade 2018

This past week my father, Dr. Chris Wallyn,
was able to do 38 eye surgeries here in San Lucas
(32 cataract surgeries, 1 pterygium surgery & 5 eye lid surgeries)
with the help of his surgical tec & 2 nurses
(one Guatemalan and one my mother 😊)

Upon arriving, Dr. Wallyn had to have consults with 85 people
(all suffering from eye problems)
trying to solve their eye problems and schedule surgical candidates.


It is always a great blessing for me to serve the poor alongside my parents
...and that I have been able to do this with my father since 1993!


My mom was the OR nurse (picture below on the left)
My dad was able to make good use of the new microscope lens
which gives another person (or aspiring surgical student) 
the chance to observe the eye surgery (picture on the right)

A special THANK YOU to all those who did fundraising
through "Sewing for Sight" to help make this purchase...
your generosity will benefit so many people in the years to come!


The (smaller scale) cataract from one surgery (left)
I even got to "scrub in" and assist a surgery with my father on Friday!


Doing some post-op care (taking care of elevated pressure in the eye)...
such a gift to see how delicate and precious the gift of sight is.
And how incredible it is that God gives
doctors the knowledge and capacity to restore it!


Almost all the patients returning at the end of the week
for one last check up....
a special thank you to Dr. Tun and Pablo Nito
for all their help and generous service
to make this run smoothly!


No comments:

Post a Comment