Saturday, April 2, 2016

Holy Week...

Last week, we were able to do a few special things for the elderly
being that it was Holy Week:


 One of the traditions here in San Lucas
is to buy a HUGE sweet-bread roll on Holy Thursday
and eat it with a type of "hot chocolate" (made with water of course).

We were able to buy one for each elderly (about 50 cents per piece)
and they were so excited!


We were also able to make some special dishes that are little more time consuming.
Above is a photo of the "Chile Rellenos" process...
(Chile Rellenos is a mix of cooked ground beef and shredded chicken,
mixed with bread crumbs, minced carrots, onions, potatoes, and other vegetables
wrapped in a grilled and peeled red pepper
and then dunked in egg, deep fried, and served
with fresh tomatoe/cilantro/garlic salsa & rice).
One word:
DELICIOUS.

I felt so brave after watching the cooks, that I decided to try it out myself.
It took me 4 hours to make TEN chiles!...and that didn't include the cleanup!
They make it look a lot easier than it really is...
I can't believe they made over 70 per feeding!!!


(Above) Delivering the food to the elderly who can't walk to the feeding center...
and having fun carrying the food!

Miriam (pictured top right and bottom left) was a little camera shy  :)
But, after she grabbed my camera and started taking pictures of me,
I understood how funny it feels to have pictures taken of you in action :)



 (Above right) The delicious "Chile Rellenos"
...a definite must for those visiting Guatemala!


It's always joyful when everyone eats together...I love it when the table is full!



This past week, I wanted to begin my own tradition and make a type of dessert
that the elderly probably have never had.

Based on the frequent request from my local friends here in San Lucas
for whom I have made some birthday cakes over the past year,
I have discovered that the chocolate "devil's food" cake mix
served with strawberry jelly and bananas in the middle
and whipped cream on top is quite frankly
A. DEFINITE. HIT.

                 

It was quite the feat making cakes for 122 people throughout the week...
but knowing it was to celebrate Jesus' Resurrection
and to see each elderly practically lick their plate clean-
it was a joy.

Thank you again for all your support-
the love and attention has made an impact on the elderly 
and they humbly recognize and ask God to bless those 
who have allowed these gifts to be given to them.

Happy Easter to all and please continue to keep the LEAST in your prayers!

1 comment:

  1. Hello. You don't know me but I feel a connection. Recently a dear friend of mine was in San Lucas for a couple of months. His name is Butch Mueller from Minnesota. He was the best man in my wedding 40 years ago. My nephew is married to Anna Merck, Dr Michael Merck who is an eye surgeon that volunteers at the clinic in San Lucas. Also all of my in-laws still live there. You may know some of them. Procopio is the last name. Marel is a teacher in the govenment run school in town. Thank you for all you do in San Lucas. I have been there numerous times and understand the plight of the elderly. They are not as fortunate as we are with our nursing homes, care centers etc. For you to take the time to make the special bread and those yummy chile rellenos. God bless your work. Jane Procopio

    ReplyDelete