Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Miracles still do happen...

It is with great joy and much anticipation that I am finally able to make this news public!

I have been holding in my heart for the past 3 years a call from the Lord
to turn the old orphanage here in San Lucas (called "Casa Feliz")
into a center for the abandoned elderly.
This building has the potential for many services-
(feeding center, nursing home and even hospice)...
but God will reveal His plan in His time.

As life would have it, the orphanage was roped into legal settlements
that the Mission went through after the death of Fr. Greg Schaffer
and in 2015, it was bound by law to be sold at a certain price...
which was way out of my potential or capacity!

Most of you know my history here in San Lucas,
but I began working with the elderly 2 years ago with the hope that God
would send a donor to help me purchase Casa Feliz.
Exactly 2 years after leaving the position 
as the volunteer coordinator of the Mission in San Lucas,
the Lord sent me a donor.

God willing the purchase will be finalized next month
and I can begin the work of converting the orphanage 
initially into our main center where we can continue to feed the elderly 
and bring them together for organized activities.

I've attached a video below (separated in 2 parts)
showing the history of the orphanage, 
the work that has been done with the elderly here over the past 2 years,
and ultimately the reason why I continue to live here in Guatemala:
to answer the Lord's call (Matthew 25:40)
and to honor the purpose which Fr. Greg wanted the orphanage to be used for
(to serve the "least"...the most poor and vulnerable in the community).

I feel that this project will bring to life once again the spirit of the Gospel
which Fr. Greg allowed to flow throughout Casa Feliz years ago.

As you can imagine, there is MUCH work to be done
in the restoring and preparing of the buildings for their new functions
(the building has been abandoned for almost 3 years).
The purchase includes (2) two-story buildings which together contain:
39 rooms, 2 kitchens, 2 pantries, 2 huge dining rooms,
7 private bathrooms, 4 communal bathrooms, a laundry room,
a basketball court and garden area.

If you feel called to support the humble beginnings of this incredible opportunity, 
you can donate the following ways:

1). (For smaller donations) Click the "donate" button on the top right to donate through Paypal.

2). (For larger donations) Make a check out to "Foundation for Saving Sight", place in the check memo "LEAST" and mail the check to:

Katie Wallyn 
1204 Lewis Ave.
Hutchinson, MN 55350

San Lucas continues to be blessed not only by the missionaries
who give their lives to work and live alongside the people,
but it is also blessed by people like you who feel called and inspired
to reach out and help us with your prayers and financial support.

May God continue to be glorified and the Heart of Jesus continue to be consoled
through our service to the poor in this humble village!

Part one:


Part two:

1 comment:

  1. My dear friend this I such great news for your passion down in Guatemala!! This warms my ♥ and brings tears to my eyes as I know how much this means to you and all of those you serve!! Im so proud of your dedication and hard work!! Please send me your email so we can keep in touch Desidostal@hotmail.come
    I miss you but know your busy doing such great things!!!!
    Love,
    Desi Dostal

    ReplyDelete